Thread: Attaching 3D objects to fabric

Associate Engineer

Attaching 3D objects to fabric

I am working on a project where I need to find a mass production method to secure 3D objects to fabric. I have produced a prototype where urethane was poured into a mould to form an object. Then fabric was applied over the cured object and secured with more urethane. The urethane is what I had on hand, but any simular material (perferably lighter) that could be substantially attached to the fabric would be optimal. And machine washable (at least the gentle cycle) is also essential.

I am searching for an existing manufacturing process to accomplish this task, but if not available, I will need help in creating one.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Fellow
    Hi, you could start by searching on liquid stitch. It seems to be designed for fabrics and washing. I have used it for repairs to shirts etc and seems to do a good job through many washes. Also from memory, it is water cleanup.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi, you could start by searching on liquid stitch. It seems to be designed for fabrics and washing. I have used it for repairs to shirts etc and seems to do a good job through many washes. Also from memory, it is water cleanup.
    Thanks for the suggestion PinkertonD.

But what I may not have been very clear on what I was searching for: I am primarily looking for a current process to incorporate a urethane object onto fabric. I have also explored other materials, e.g., thermoplastics and polyurethanes as alternatives. If a current manufacturing process is not available, then I am looking for someone to help come up with one; a rapid process of casing molded objects onto fabric.

Viewing other posts it looks like "jboggs" has experiance in urethane molding, and I would greatly appreciate his input (if anyone can contact him).

Thanks again.