Thread: Drift Triking

Associate Engineer

Rolleyes Drift Triking

As a side project my friends and I have been building drift trikes. Which are basically a big kid big wheel with plastic rear wheels to allow for drifting down a hill. We just chopped down a bicycle at the crank and welded on a frame, rear axle, and a seat.

So my question is in 2 parts.

1.) How might I add on a direct drive system to the front wheel of a bicycle. No chains and I would need direct drive and a neutral. I was thinking of some how using the inner gears of a rachet. putting the rachet on the inside of the wheel and making the axle run through the inner gear to turn the outer gear which would turn the wheel. If anyone might know an easier way that would be fantastic.

2.) Also, I have an electric motor from a wheel chair that I would like to hook up to one of the drift trikes also. It runs off 24 volts, so I know i need 2 car batteries connected in series. But I need a Switch or a lever to mount on the handle bar, so the motor is running all the time, I can just hit the button when I need the power. I would like to know what kind of switch or lever I might need.

So you want a front wheel that acts... exactly... like a rear wheel on an old 20" bicycle?

Associate Engineer
    I suppose but with no chain, or act like the newer style unicycle. I just do not want to have to buy a unicycle to tear it apart. I would rather be able to make or machine what I need.

[QUOTE=a.dipiero;5540]...........

1.) How might I add on a direct drive system to the front wheel of a bicycle. No chains and I would need direct drive and a neutral. I was thinking of some how using the inner gears of a rachet. putting the rachet on the inside of the wheel and making the axle run through the inner gear to turn the outer gear which would turn the wheel. If anyone might know an easier way that would be fantastic.
    QUOTE]

Do a search "freewheel bicycle drive." It'd be a lot easier to by a scrapped bike rear wheel and incorporate its ratchet design than to build one from scratch. No chain and the pedals of your big-wheel type ride won't be spinning a hundred miles an hour when you take to a long steep hill. Better look into brakes as well.