Thread: Motion Sensor randomized Visual Output Device

Associate Engineer

Motion Sensor randomized Visual Output Device

Hello!
    I'm new to this forum and looking for some help with a project I'm working on.

The device I need to construct should have the following features:
    1. A Motion sensor that detects anyone stepping on an area of about 15x15 inches.
    2. Transmits signal wireless to a device up to 20 feet away
    3. That device randomly selects a visual signal like a light coming on. There should be a way for a person using the device to choose between the number of lights that can come on. One out of two, one out of three, or one out of four. The time between the motion sensor being activated and the visual signal going off should be minimal.
    To make it more clear:
    There would be four lights. The user of the device could choose three Options:
    1.) light 1 or 2 comes on (random selection which one)
    2.) light 1, 2, or 3 comes on (random)
    3.) light 1,2,3, or 4 comes on (random)

How difficult and expensive would it be approximately to build this device?
    Where would I look for the needed parts?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone give me!
    Thanks in advance!
    Malte
    Last edited by makra; 02-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.

It sounds like you have the operational requirements figured out. There are MANY ways to make that happen. But you need to figure out a plan that makes sense to you. (We're not going to design your system for you.) Then come back with more questions on specific details. Your questions now are way too general and wide-ranging for a forum like this, IMHO.

Technical Fellow
    I'm with JB, this is very general but some points to ponder.

Motion sensors usually are not simply or easily confined to detection in a small clearly defined area. Maybe think about pressure pads.

You may want to consider something like a Kinect. With gestures it could handle all of your requirements and the project turns into more of a programming exercise than hardware.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the responses.
    I know that you guys can't design the system for me. I was just looking for someone to point me in a direction.
    I can get the motion sensor figured out, and the wireless transmitter as well. Where I struggle is for a way to randomly have the lamps come on when a signal is received. Does anyone have a cheap way to do this, maybe a small device that would solve this problem? That would be very helpful already!
    Thanks again for your time!

Well I am NOT an electrical or software guy but I know that there are lots of ways to obtain a random number generator. My handheld calculator even has one. I would think you could insert a random number generator routine somewhere in the control sequence and get the results you want.