Thread: Circular/Arched Track

Associate Engineer

Confused Circular/Arched Track

Hi,

I am trying to find a high precision circular track system and was curious if anyone here has ever used one before? I say 'high precision' but I just want the tolerance to be known and hopefully better than a film camera track (although I shouldn't say that because I really don't know what tolerances they have). A tolerance in the millimeter range would be ideal, for the centimeter range I may be able to calibrate the system, but I don't think anything near an inch off would work for my application. I need the track to be 8 to 10 feet in radius and be made up of sections. A 20' diameter slew ring would be perfect for my application except I have to fit whatever I wind up using through a 3' X 6' door. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Technical Fellow
    Welcome to the forum Tom,

Wow, you have a big ask there!

One only has to look at the cargo bay doors of the space shuttle to know that the precision and size can be done, but at what cost?

Do you need to set this up in different places and at different times or is it a once-installed, it is done thing? The answer to that will get you started with a cost range as a fixed installation will be much less cost than a moveable one.

Associate Engineer
    I will need to setup the system for testing at our facility and then it will be taken apart and delivered to another location. Once at this other location it will (to my knowledge) be a permanent fixture. I'm, looking into two different track system currently: a circular track system from THK (http://www.tech.thk.com/upload/catal...6E_HCR_HMG.pdf) and HepcoMotion (www.hepcomotion.com/en/download-pg-21-get-706). Both seem made to order for this size range ($$$) but can be made with built in gears and the companies have a huge assortment of accessories. Of course the track will only be as precise as the mounting platform it sits. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.