Thread: Should I strive to become a Computer Engineer?

Associate Engineer

Should I strive to become a Computer Engineer?

Hello, and thank you for reading my post. I know there are probably millions of these posts everywhere, but I haven't seen one that rally answers my question. Things about me:
    I'm currently a junior, I like math and science, but the highest level of math I'm taking is pre calculus next year (senior year) and honors physics. I've always pulled A's and B's in all my classes without studying, and I know I can pull straight A's when I study. I like math/science, and I feel I understand many of the concepts. I also have loved computers for a long time, and I would enjoy learning how to program. Next year (senior year) I'm taking AP java/computer science. Throughout my high school career, I've taken AP English language and composition and Psychology (both with an A) and next year, I'm taking AP English literature, AP government, AP economics, pre calc, physics, and AP java.
    Anyway, so you think I can survive the brutal engineering program? I know I'm behind on my math/science classes, and that's why I'm not sure if I can keep up with the others who take AP calc AB/BC or Ap physics. I feel that I can learn at any pace and I have high work ethic. So what do you guys think? Should I continue with my plans for engineering? I can answer any questions if needed.
    Sorry for the long post

Hi Firebolt.
    I don't understand your educational system because I am Italian and here we have a different one.

I can say to you that if you are motivated and focused on your goal, you can do anything.

What makes the difference is your willpower.

Looking at your situation from the opposite end of the career spectrum I can tell you this - the main factor in your long term success will not be what courses you did or did not take. It will be how much you enjoy doing the work of your career. If you enjoy it, you will find ways to learn whatever you need to learn. If you don't enjoy it, will find excuses not to learn it. It sounds like you look at things practically and you seem to have a technical head on your shoulders. I can't say computer engineering is the exact direction for you but it sounds like you would enjoy some technical career better than, say, teaching english or history.

I thought I was going to be a pilot, then I thought I was going to be a computer engineer, then I realized mechanical engineering was my calling, and I've never regretted it. Don't be afraid to start out in a general direction. There will be bends and curves along the way, but you'll get there.

smithrr6
    Since you're still in high school, I wouldn't worry too much about your math classes and physics classes. There are plenty of engineers that start their college educations without calculus. If you can squeeze in calculus and physics in high school, it will make your freshman year much easier. At the college I graduated from, over half of the incoming freshman do not graduate with engineering majors. They either drop out of college, or change majors. Majoring in engineering will be lots of math and science. you might have 1 class per semester that is not a math/ science class. You will have about 1 lab per semester also, all the way until your graduate. As far as computer engineering goes, they are in the same category as electrical engineer. Electrical engineering is no walk in the park, but once you graduate with it, you will be very proud of yourself. Electrical engineers have very good career outlook. There are not enough electrical engineers to currently fill the positions for them. I would recommend focusing on electrical engineering more than computer engineering. electrical engineering = circuits, motors, power plants, power lines, generators, and a heavy amount of programming as well.
    Last edited by smithrr6; 05-03-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: didn't finish post

Associate Engineer
    I started out in high school with advance placement calculus and physics. I was an electrical engineer in the military repairing F15 computer components. After the military, the job market was strange and I had to take what I could get. I found myself as a project developer and interface between IT and business at the corporate office of a drug company. The skills and experience I gained applied to the business world. I write programs, organize and develop projects, and work all over because there's not a lot I can't do with the experince I gained.

Basically, if you think you like it, go for it. If you change your mind or find out that it's not your thing, what you learn can be applied to many different types of jobs. Accountants can do accounting, programmers can write programs, marketers can market, but engineers can do pretty much everything.

Associate Engineer
    I agree with jboggs, it depends on if you like what you do. I started in a family business as a residential electrician when I was in high school. I went onto the navy and was trained as an aviation electronics technician. I liked it and was good at what I did, currently I am a junior in college for my B.S. in Electronics Engineering Technology. There is a lot of math and science involved (and when focusing on electronics a good bit of programming). The career outlook is great for engineers, as not many people today want to take the courses.

Project Engineer
    Perhaps I can offer a slightly differant perspective on the 'computer engineer' job,
    since I've done that for more than 30 years.

Something to consider: this job will entail sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours per day.
    Some occasional telephone conferencing, but mostly conversation by email.

If you like to get out of the house/office/building, this is not the field for you.

Project Manager and most other kinds of engineering
    (structural / mechanical / electrical / architectural) have more interaction with people,
    and you are outside of the office more often.

You usually do not produce a 'tangible' product, something physical you can hold or touch.

And although we write the software that Professional Engineers use,
    we are not held in the same regard by them.
    (Altho the PE Certification is starting to become more available for Software Engineers).
    If this is important to you, you may want to consider another field.

Associate Engineer
    You should strive for it only if you have a true, burning passion for it. If you don’t love what you do, you won’t get very far. Well, even if you do become successful, you sure as hell won’t be truly happy.
    Compared to all the other engineering jobs, being a computer engineer doesn’t offer as much adventure. That’s okay if you’re not into adventure, though.

Associate Engineer
    You should strive for it only if you have a true, burning passion for it. If you don’t love what you do, you won’t get very far. Well, even if you do become successful, you sure as hell won’t be truly happy.
    Compared to all the other engineering jobs, being a computer engineer doesn’t offer as much adventure. That’s okay if you’re not into adventure, though.

Associate Engineer
    As long as you’re interest is in that field, then go for it.