Thread: Need estimate for construction of the following senior center / office building

Associate Engineer

Need estimate for construction of the following senior center / office building

I'm just doing research for a client and need to figure out what aspects fit in his budget. Could you give me some ballpark figures on the following:

First Floor:

• Information Center / Resident Membership Registration / Fax Service
    • Lobby / Waiting Area
    • Restaurant /Bar /Karaoke
    • Dancing / Party Room
    • Bowling Area
    • Bingo

Parking Building

Second Floor
    • Library
    • Meeting Room
    • Computer Room
    • Theatre Room
    • Video Game /Game Room

Third Floor
    • Directors Office
    • Employees Office
    • Human Resource

Department
    • Security Office
    • Volunteers Office
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.4 KB, 7 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 6 views)

Seriously, if your client has to ask - they can't afford it...

Nice pictures!

If this is build costs then I think I would advise the client to sign on with a decent Architect and/or reputable Main Contractor. If this is for fit outs of existing areas/change of purpose then an Interior Designer would be the best bet.

If you are determined to do this off your own back then go and study the design brief for each area and start from there. I could give you price of £50 (~$76 USD) per area but you wouldn't like the look of what you'll be getting

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    If this is build costs then I think I would advise the client to sign on with a decent Architect and/or reputable Main Contractor. If this is for fit outs of existing areas/change of purpose then an Interior Designer would be the best bet.

If you are determined to do this off your own back then go and study the design brief for each area and start from there. I could give you price of £50 (~$76 USD) per area but you wouldn't like the look of what you'll be getting
    I'm not going to tell the client to seek another provider lol, i'd sorta like him to pay me instead. I just need to give him the high end/luxury estimates. Doesn't need to be exact just ballpark.
    I realize it's stupid to guess like that, i'm just doing what I was paid for.

Then I must draw your attention back to this little nugget:-

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble
    Seriously, if your client has to ask - they can't afford it...
    The term high end means to me: bespoke, tailored finishes. These are priced according to individual requirements and are only limited by how much abuse the clients cheque book can take. How long is that piece of string again?

Going for the next best thing... I wouldn't be here asking a forum because that brief is so vague you could spin about 2yrs work on that alone. Plus holiday.

Associate Engineer
    Well i'm really not sure where else to ask. I was given the job that's outside of my field, naturally i don't like to turn down money though. So if anyone could just give any estimates that make sense I would be forever grateful!

Do you have a copy of the Metric Handbook? Not sure where you are or if there is a state side equivalent but you could make the conversions. This will give you the minimum requirements for each of these areas.

Post more later; home time!

Cool

I wont be doing this assignment for you because: 1) Not enough information and 2) It's a lot of work.

I will tell you what you need though.

• Dimensions of all rooms you are being asked to survey for.
    • Internet.
    • Telephone.
    • Budget.

I say budget because the only client that doesn't have one is a theoretical one. The only time I have estimated a "project" with no budget (not even a predicted one) was for a Surveying module when I was at University.

Good luck and happy hunting.

First, I see that you just joined the forum, so - welcome! (I will try to be easy in my remarks.)
    Second, look at this Dilbert cartoon, its my all time favorite:
    dilbert.jpg

Third, one of the most common hard-learned truths of engineering is this: any estimates will be as accurate and usable as the scope of work. Garbage in, garbage out. I've been where you're at. You have a client that wants to do business with somebody and you don't want him going anywhere else. If the best he can give you is the list I see in your original post, then the most valuable thing you could do for him would be to help him refine his scope. Volunteer to sit down with him in an extended work session (you provide the sub sandwiches) and hammer out a more detailed feature wish list of must-have's, no-need's, and maybe's. That way you will have some specific research you can do on individual features, and then help him refine his scope even further. Any numbers you give him right now will either make him mad or make you broke. Another truth of engineering is this - the ONLY number the client remembers is the first one you tell him.