Thread: Is Computer Engineering right for me?

Associate Engineer

Is Computer Engineering right for me?

Hello, and thank you for reading my post. I know there are probably millions of these posts everywhere, but I haven't seen one that rally answers my question. Things about me:
    I'm currently a junior, I like math and science, but the highest level of math I'm taking is pre calculus next year (senior year) and honors physics. I've always pulled A's and B's in all my classes without studying, and I know I can pull straight A's when I study. I like math/science, and I feel I understand many of the concepts. I also have loved computers for a long time, and I would enjoy learning how to program. Next year (senior year) I'm taking AP java/computer science. Throughout my high school career, I've taken AP English language and composition and Psychology (both with an A) and next year, I'm taking AP English literature, AP government, AP economics, pre calc, physics, and AP java.
    Anyway, so you think I can survive the brutal engineering program? I know I'm behind on my math/science classes, and that's why I'm not sure if I can keep up with the others who take AP calc AB/BC or Ap physics. I feel that I can learn at any pace and I have high work ethic. So what do you guys think? Should I continue with my plans for engineering? I can answer any questions if needed.
    Sorry for the long post

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebolt059 View Post
    Hello, and thank you for reading my post. I know there are probably millions of these posts everywhere, but I haven't seen one that rally answers my question. Things about me:
    I'm currently a junior, I like math and science, but the highest level of math I'm taking is pre calculus next year (senior year) and honors physics. I've always pulled A's and B's in all my classes without studying, and I know I can pull straight A's when I study. I like math/science, and I feel I understand many of the concepts. I also have loved computers for a long time, and I would enjoy learning how to program. Next year (senior year) I'm taking AP java/computer science. Throughout my high school career, I've taken AP English language and composition and Psychology (both with an A) and next year, I'm taking AP English literature, AP government, AP economics, pre calc, physics, and AP java.
    Anyway, so you think I can survive the brutal engineering program? I know I'm behind on my math/science classes, and that's why I'm not sure if I can keep up with the others who take AP calc AB/BC or Ap physics. I feel that I can learn at any pace and I have high work ethic. So what do you guys think? Should I continue with my plans for engineering? I can answer any questions if needed.
    Sorry for the long post

Sounds like CS is a good major. I am currently in school for ME and a lot of my friends don't have to study quite as hard as I do and yet still get A's like there is nothing to it.

See how you do in AP physics and AP Calc before you make a final decision. PHY kicked my butt, while Calc came across a bit easier. You will have to work hard no matter what engineering field you go into. If you tend to struggle with Calc and PHY don't back down no matter what. Basically what I am saying is that if you happen to not be very good in PHY and Calc you should just continue taking the classes until you pass them.
    Last edited by ME_student; 03-05-2013 at 07:13 PM.