Thread: API Thread Definition - Dimensional

Associate Engineer

API Thread Definition - Dimensional

Hey all, I'm trying to do some documentation for one of our customers and we have some missing data I'm hoping this crew may help with or point me in the right direction.

They supply aftermarket adapters and replacement parts related to horizontal drilling rigs. These rigs use standard and modified API threads. I'm trying to find what the standard dimensional definitions are for these threads to provide additional information to them. For example, what is the thread profile and pitch (or TPI) for an API 2.375" thread or an API 1.625" LP?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I believe "LP" designates "Line Pipe".

APIThread.jpg

Technical Fellow
    Be cautious with this one. Best to ask the customer. An LP thread can have working pressures up into the 10,000-psi range so considering anything "standard" may be a dangerous assumption.

Associate Engineer
    Kelly - Do you have a larger image of this? When I zoom into it, it is very distorted.

Also, we've found some information in the API Spec 5B and Spec 7-2, is this where this information came from?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Be cautious with this one. Best to ask the customer. An LP thread can have working pressures up into the 10,000-psi range so considering anything "standard" may be a dangerous assumption.
    These are used in horizontal drilling, so there isn't an internal pressure.