Thread: Efficiency of solar panels – transition line

Engineer

Efficiency of solar panels – transition line

I want to calculate the efficiency of solar panel, I know that the answer need to be approximate 15% because this information I find in the website of one company that manufacture the solar panels, but I don’t know how they calculate this?
    Maybe it can be correlated to transition line?
    I think it, but I am not sure, because maybe it is related to the light sun that touch the atmosphere and part of this return back to the space, part of this absorb in the atmosphere and only part of this pass to the earth and after this it arrive to the clouds and again part of the sun light return, absorb and pass, I search more information about that and how to calculate this.
    If the solar panels will be in the space outside of the atmosphere so it will not have the problem of part of the light return or absorb but it will be other problem that is how to pass the energy from light that is outside the atmosphere to electrical energy that is in the earth.
    Do you have any idea how to do it with minimum of lost of the energy?
    How it possible to grow up the efficiency of the solar panels?
    If you have any information, idea, links that are correlated to this issue so I will glad if you can write it in this thread.

Solar panel efficency is calculated using the STC. "By convention, solar cell efficiencies are measured under standard test conditions (STC) unless stated otherwise. STC specifies a temperature of 25 °C and an irradiance of 1000 W/m2 with an air mass 1.5 (AM1.5) spectrum." Under those conditions you can calculate the efficency by "dividing a cell's power output (in watts) at its maximum power point (Pm) by the input light (E, in W/m2) and the surface area of the solar cell (Ac in m2)".
    2b62c37074fcb786023421eca91f654e.png

"Growing up" the efficency of solar panels is not technicaly possible. The efficency of a solar panel is typicaly determined by its internal compositions and construction methods. However, the best practices to maximize your efficency is to frequently clean and maintain the solar panels, this isn't just washing them down...

If you need more information, the majority of this information can be found by doing a google or wikipedia search.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...f+solar+panels
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell_efficiency

Associate Engineer
    Hello this is a good question ,
    I am new here but I wold like to share with you this information, recently installed a PV system in my home and I studied very carefully
    Many PV manufactures about their quality and the panels efficiency of each one, searching online for a solution I found a good tutorial here:

Measuring-PV-Efficiency-Solar-Panels.pdf

based on this tutorial I've done some calculations and I learned how important is the efficiency of the PV system, Recently I founded also a site, pvcompare I found a lot of information's here
    that helped me a lot , hope will be the same for you and for the others who will visit this thread
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-04-2014 at 06:54 AM.

JarodCyg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo123 View Post
    I want to calculate the efficiency of solar kits, I know that the answer need to be approximate 15% because this information I find in the website of one company that manufacture the solar panels, but I don’t know how they calculate this?
    Maybe it can be correlated to transition line?
    I think it, but I am not sure, because maybe it is related to the light sun that touch the atmosphere and part of this return back to the space, part of this absorb in the atmosphere and only part of this pass to the earth and after this it arrive to the clouds and again part of the sun light return, absorb and pass, I search more information about that and how to calculate this.
    If the solar panels will be in the space outside of the atmosphere so it will not have the problem of part of the light return or absorb but it will be other problem that is how to pass the energy from light that is outside the atmosphere to electrical energy that is in the earth.
    Do you have any idea how to do it with minimum of lost of the energy?
    How it possible to grow up the efficiency of the solar panels?
    If you have any information, idea, links that are correlated to this issue so I will glad if you can write it in this thread.
    Hello friend were you able to find right practical way to calculate efficiency of the panels? Even I am trying hard to find out the efficiency so can you help me out..
    Last edited by JarodCyg; 09-18-2014 at 01:36 AM.