Thread: Arch Deflection

tommy2289

Arch Deflection

Hi guys,

How do you calculate maximum deflection of a two hinged parabolic arch due to a point load exerted on it?

The Arch in question is as follows:
    Span - 18.4m
    Height at crown - 3m
    Point load at horizontal distance from left hand side- 3m
    Material - Steel
    Constant EI
    Solid Steel tube - 115mm diameter

Any help on this would be great, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding this, only three hinged arches and/or UDL over other arches!

Technical Fellow
    Tommy, I am sure this is all clear i your mind, but we, well, I, cannot even get close to understanding the problem.

We, again, well I, will need a sketch of the system and the points and direction(s) at which the load(s) are being applied.

Engineering is not like cooking an egg. There are no set single answers, there are many, sometimes dozens of things that come under consideration.

Unlike some lucky souls, I was away from school the day they taught mind-reading.

Principle Engineer
    This problem can be solved most proficiently by using energy methods. Unless you are unfamiliar with that approach, and depend on classical methods, you are in for a long calculation.

If this is not homework and you understand energy methods, I believe I can help.

Otherwise, you should be able to find a solution in some publication, but will not learn anything.