Thread: Force is energy?

RorschachDK

Force is energy?

Hello everybody

I was just sitting here wondering about force. As we all know force is defines in newtons - the amount of force it takes to accelerate a object with mass 1 kg to 1m/s^2. Energy, defined in Joules, is one newton aplied for 1 m. But here comes my question.

One newton must also be equivalent to an amount of joules? It must take some energy to accelerate and object?

Can quite remember my basic mechanics but im trying to restore my knowledge. Hope you guys can help ty

best regards

Associate Engineer
    Force can be thought of as pressure. The force MUST act through some distance to be equivalent to energy - think of the air pressure you're sitting in right now (14 psi) - it's a force, but it isn't doing any work (acting through distance) so you can't equate it to energy. If that force pushed a rock a little ways, that would be a small amount of energy - if it pushed a rock a LONG way, that would be a lot of energy. It's one of those fundamentals of math and physics: energy has 2 dimensions (force AND distance) - if you only have one dimension, you don't have energy. Using your example, if you let a newton accelerate a mass for 1 second, that's one amount of energy - if you let a newton accelerate the same mass for 20 seconds, that's a lot more energy, but it's the same newton and the same mass!

Associate Engineer
    Energy is a 'property' which you have when a force is applied over a certain distance. It's sort of counting up all the force which has acted on you, and giving a number you can use to make calculations simpler.

Banned
    Since it appears that gravity as a force is perpetual
    could we not build a machine that uses gravity
    as a power source?
    Why doesn't gravity ever loose strength?
    Am I just not understanding?

Associate Engineer
    Hi, Many people are attempting to use gravity to create a so called perpetual or free energy system. In essence gravity is a one dimensional focussed force towards a point and once that potential energy has been used you have to put back an equal amount to get back to the starting point of a cycle. I am involved currently in a fairly complex project where tapping into the space fabric itself shows potential on paper. A simple thing called resistance steals away many peoples dreams, because nothing is really free. However I hope to announce soon that the energy crisis Is in the past.Regards

Quote Originally Posted by BPapenfu View Post
    Hi, Many people are attempting to use gravity to create a so called perpetual or free energy system. In essence gravity is a one dimensional focussed force towards a point and once that potential energy has been used you have to put back an equal amount to get back to the starting point of a cycle. I am involved currently in a fairly complex project where tapping into the space fabric itself shows potential on paper. A simple thing called resistance steals away many peoples dreams, because nothing is really free. However I hope to announce soon that the energy crisis Is in the past.Regards
    Impossible, as it would violate the first or second law of thermodynamics..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Force can be changed to much larger or smaller values by simple devices such as levers, screws, etc. But energy is a conserved quantity. So a given quantity of energy can be expended by applying a relatively large force over short distance, or smaller force over longer distance.