Thread: Modelling a square floor panel

Associate Engineer

Modelling a square floor panel

Hi

Can someone suggest how I would model a glass floor panel to determine the min support around the edges.

This is a domestic application, and from BS 6399: Part 1: 1984 it shows you need a minimum of Uniformily distributed load 1.5 kN/m2 and Concentrated Load 1.4kN

The size is 600mm by 700mm = 0.42m2 . The thickness is likely to be 30.5mm. Although this is somewhat flexible.

The material is toughened laminated glass. 19mm + 1.5mm spacer + 10mm. I am taking this to be 2.5kg/m2/mm thickness (excl. spacer) = 2.5 x 0.42 x 29 = 32.025kg

Max deflection = L2 / 50000 x t
    L = length of glass side
    t = glass thickness excl. spacer

Deflection = 6002/ 50000 x 29 = 0.24mm
    Deflection = 7002 / 50000 x 29 = 0.34mm

Young's Modulus = 70GPa

It is supported on all four edges, and will sit in the floor spanning two joists and with two noggins on the other two sides. The top will be flush with the floor boards, but has an expansion gap filled with silicone around the edge.

I was wondering if I might model it as either a statically indeterminate load, or simply supported with two points?

many thanks
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-23-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: New op and link not required...

I've only had to incorporate glass into a floor structure once so I'm far from being an expert. It was an RC floor too, not timber and we were given a minimum bearing of 50 mm for the glazing from the manufacturer.

Would it not be a starting point to look at it similar to a 2 way slab?