Thread: Machining versus forming a bolt.

Associate Engineer

Machining versus forming a bolt.

I have need for a bolt which I can not find readily available off the shelf. Can I machine the bolt from rod and expect to get properties similar to a manufactured bolt? I would machine the bolt and follow up with a heat treat and temper in effort to get the desired tensile, yield and hardness. Will I have impact strength issues? Does rolling the threads give benefit over cutting the threads?

Any input would be greatly appreaciated.

Technical Fellow
    Hi, tell us what size bolt and loads you are talking about here. Is the bolt in tension or shear?

I would hazard a guess and say every significant bolt and nut on the Shuttle was machined from solid, make of that what you will.

Associate Engineer
    PinkertonD. The bolt is in tension. The grade class requirement is 10.9 per ISO 898-1.

With Space Shuttle bolts come hi-tech expensive materials no?

Basically I want to machine something from 4140 then heat treat / temper to get to the yield / tensile / hardness of a grade 10.9 bolt. Maybe it's not much more complicated than that. It just seems to me if you cold head or hot upset forge a head onto a bolt it is going to be stronger than machining it.

Technical Fellow
    @Blakev, forging versus machining would come down to Metallurgy and the fineness of the metal consistency and a bunch of other stuff, but if you are trying to emulate a Grade-8 bolt (ISO 10.9) then it really all is moot. Machine your bolt, make sure there is a good sized radius under the head and also a very fine lathe finish on the shank/body. Thread forming versus machining again would be moot in this instance. Do the highest level of thread tolerance you can buy a die for, or use a Go/Nogo nut for the tolerance you seek.

I can't help but feel you are wasting time on things that do not matter. If the diameter/load is that critical, go to a higher grade of material or heat treatment, or a go to larger diameter. It's a bolt dude!

Fini for me.

Associate Engineer
    Great thanks for the input.