Thread: Hole edge stress concentration

pmlapl

Hole edge stress concentration

New here.
    I'm certain what follows is an elementary problem, but my understanding is elementary. I've searched the NET for examples, looked through my books and posted on a physics forum with no results so I'm giving someone here a chance to help me.

Here's my quandary:
    I want to calculate the stress concentration on the edge of a round hole on one side of a tube. The hole has a round pin inserted through it that is the same OD as the ID of the hole. The tube is anchored and the pin is loaded along the long axis of the tube. I was thinking I could use 60% of the edge width times the diameter of the hole to get the area and be close, but I'd like to know what it should be. Thank much for your help.

Technical Fellow
    A picture, drawing or a photograph of a sketch will help us better understand what you are after. Where is the load applied? Evenly over the length of the pin? At the base of the pin? At the end of the pin?

Is the load holding the pin rigidly in it's starting position? Meaning, is the load pushing down on the side of the pin or is the pin part of the loading device and it can't bend or deflect away from the load?

Can you possibly drill through the tube and locate the pin in the through holes but only protruding on one side of the tube? That would be much better for loading.

Too many unknowns to give a useful answer.