Thread: Rectangular Pressure Vessel with horizontal welded stiffeners

Engineer

Rectangular Pressure Vessel with horizontal welded stiffeners

I'm running additional calculations besides the cylindrical pressure vessel calculations I posted earlier. I'm examining a pressure vessel with angle iron stiffeners that wrap around the entire vessel horizontally. There are several stiffeners that span the length of the vessel. I need to perform stress analysis on the stiffeners and the sections of the vessel's side in between the stiffeners. I cannot seem to find any literature associated with this specific format of stiffener online. The stiffeners will be welded to the surface of the vessel, which is of rectangular shape. Any help or advice on the calculations would be appreciated.

ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC)...

cr668288,

There is a very good reason that you have never, ever seen a rectangular pressure vessel.

Just sayin...

JB

Engineer
    The calculations I'm running are for dust collectors, which are generally rectangular in shape and have stiffeners added to the sides for strengthening. I apologize for not stating that in the original post.

Engineer
    None of my calculations are being used in actual design. I am a student engineer who has been asked to research into how these devices are designed. I am not a professional and I'm merely performing calculations for a firm that I'm currently doing a work term with. Everything is being reviewed by professional engineers before being presented in any report or otherwise. All of my questions are merely to understand the theory behind the designs of pressure vessels; dust collectors specifically. Any help with this is appreciated.