Thread: Career change: What should I do? SO MANY CHOICES

Associate Engineer

Career change: What should I do? SO MANY CHOICES

Okay so I will try not to make this long and boring. This is for you to get an idea of where I am coming from. I graduated with a B.S. in Game Art & Design last year. The Game industry SUCKS right now, it's so hard to find a job within a studio, and if I did, my salary will be no greater then what I am making now. I'm currently working as a 3D modeler/animator in a company that recreates automobile accidents, injuries, e.g. slip and fall, product failure, unlawful death, etc,etc... I admit I love it even if it's not working on video games I can't complain.

I realized that I want to achieve something higher in my career, not just financially (because if money were the motivation I would not be where I am now...well now that student ***** are in hehe...), but something to "contribute" more in this society. I've been looking for days now trying to figure out what Path in engineering I want to take. I've chosen a few: Mechanical Engineering - Mechatronics Engineering - Mechanical Engineering Technician. All Of which I researched, I seen a glimpse of the salaries, job placements, the flexibility and growth of each profession.

I still can't decide which will be best for me. I want to personally hear from any of you that has full on experience from one of the fields I have chosen, personal stories. All the good and bad. I love the 3D stuff so something like that would probably be more suitable for me although I am willing to try something beyond that. I hear MET's use SolidWorks along with the obvious AutoCAD. One issue I have is what category I want to contribute to? The three I find most appealing are Roller Coasters - Transportation (Commercial and/or Military) - Automobile industry (guess that falls under transportation).

One other thing I would like to point out is I prefer online courses since travel isn't a luxury right now So there you have it, I hope I can gather some great insight on what you all have to offer me in terms of advice and guidance.
    Last edited by Paarthurnax; 05-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Technical Fellow
    Just for a start, you need to turn on Javascript and that will preserve your line breaks and paragraphs and make the post readable to us. Then you may get some interesting responses.

If you already have Javascript turned on and that's how you present written communications then I think you have greater issues to deal with first.

If you really like 3D CAD, you should consider mechanical, architectural or civil design (Designer)...
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-06-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Just for a start, you need to turn on Javascript and that will preserve your line breaks and paragraphs and make the post readable to us. Then you may get some interesting responses.

If you already have Javascript turned on and that's how you present written communications then I think you have greater issues to deal with first.
    Ha, yes I am quite aware of that. My laptop acts funny sometimes. I got it working now though.

Associate Engineer
    From what I can tell, you definitely fit into architecture! You’d have to learn a few more things but it’s not something a good course won’t teach.
    But if I were to choose from your three choices then the automobile industry is the way to go.

If you really enjoy 3D modeling then I second (or third) the Architecture route. 3D is generally not used for for civils or structural as it brings nothing to the game that good plans and details don't already cover. There is also the option of working for a steel fabricator using programs like Solidworks, StruCAD and Revit.

For what its worth I spend my life designing special production machinery and automation equipment on Solidworks and Autocad. I love the challenge of using knowledge, experience, and creativity to solve real problems with designs that will withstand the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" and still "keep on ticking". Educational background is Mechanical Engineering.