Thread: Display potentiometer position

Associate Engineer

Display potentiometer position

It's been a while since I've done this stuff, and I'm after something specific that I'm having trouble with.

I have a potentiometer, and I want to display it's position in an absolute on an lcd or led display from 0-25. The reistance is 400ohms to 4000ohms. This is for an automotive application measuring suspension stiffness that is controlled hydraulically. As it goes up the pot turns.

I have an electrical engineering and c programming history.

Thanks for your help.

We're good but we're not mind readers.
    Your question is...?

Associate Engineer
    Sorry, I'm looking for a suitable display and control board, and a way I can take the numeric ohm output of the pot and perform the function 25/100*(input/5000) to display the number. My previous experience was diagnosing circuit boards and replacing faulty components so while I know how the stuff works, I don't have hands on with this sort of thing.

Technical Fellow
    Still pretty vague, is the suspension turning the pot or are you?

Are you looking for a finished display or are you wanting to build it yourself?

There are many things you could use to to monitor the pot resistance, but unless it is a wire wound pot, you are not going to get a clean linear output.

You could attach Quadrature Encoder for much better step results rather than trying to use the resistance.

Try looking at Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Basic Stamp and a whole bunch similar programmable devices, or even PIC devices but the latter will require more effort in designing and building the electronics.