Thread: I beam size.

Banned

I beam size.

I have a 4 story house and I’d like to make a swing stagesystem for it to gain access to a few of the otherwise unreachable walls. I’d like to use a collapsible swing 6’ wideetc. To traverse the walls horizontally, I’ll need a trolley system and thus anI beam track above.
    It’s the I beam sizing that is in question. I’d like the beam to be capable of 1000lbscapacity load at the combined trolleys which will be separated by a 6’ spreaderbar. The span of the Beam will be just under 9’ between supports. My questionis; will a common 2.5” X 4” steel I beam suffice? If not, what would the minimum size?

Thanks,
    Mike Smallwood

Banned
    A picture you say eh?
    Sorry I don’t know how to draw pictures. Maybe below will help?
    If 9 white ducks are in a line on a pond and two additional ducks that are yellow always stay next to the white ducks and the two yellow ducks additionally always stay 6 white ducks away from one another; how many white ducks can a yellow duck swim along side of?
    Answer-3

Now mentally visualize the 9 white ducks and imagine they mysteriously become an I beam 9' long. Now visualize the 2 yellow ducks and imagine they become two yellow trolleys with a 6 foot spreader bar always distancing them from one another. How far can the trolley move along the beam in either direction? Now imagine the trolleys carry a 1000lb load (500lbs ea) of magic green sparkling sugar that mysteriously becomes a person and tools on a swing stage.

Need a picture of one beam trolley on a beam too? That I can do.

30103600.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day in a half, how long would it take a grass hopper with a wooden leg to separate all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

What does a grass hopper separating seeds from a pickle got to do with chickens?

The best answer comes from the best question......

The solution to your original post is within the link below.

https://www.engineersedge.com/beam_b...calculator.htm

This tool will determine requirements per. AISC 9th Edition ASD Manual and CMAA Specification No. 74 (2004).

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds63 View Post
    A picture you say eh?
    Sorry I don’t know how to draw pictures. Maybe below will help?
    If 9 white ducks are in a line on a pond and two additional ducks that are yellow always stay next to the white ducks and the two yellow ducks additionally always stay 6 white ducks away from one another; how many white ducks can a yellow duck swim along side of?
    Answer-3

Now mentally visualize the 9 white ducks and imagine they mysteriously become an I beam 9' long. Now visualize the 2 yellow ducks and imagine they become two yellow trolleys with a 6 foot spreader bar always distancing them from one another. How far can the trolley move along the beam in either direction? Now imagine the trolleys carry a 1000lb load (500lbs ea) of magic green sparkling sugar that mysteriously becomes a person and tools on a swing stage.

Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-14-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds63 View Post
    Ducks, eggs and grasshoppers aside, you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

This could have all been done for you if only you had supplied a sketch of what you required. So now you are left with the online calculator and your wit.

That seemed to work well for you.

I can't understand why you need to bother with trolleys when you're only moving what would be an arms reach away either direction? 1-1/2 ducks left of center... 1-1/2 ducks to the right...?

When you say collapsible swing... you lost me there...?
    Maybe you should look into a rolling library ladder? There are some really good looking systems out there... Maybe a window washers rigging?

Associate Engineer
    I do agree with Kelly. It will be more understandable if there are more pics. What do you think?

Associate Engineer
    RWOLFEJR is right. You should try other systems.