Thread: need advice on an engineering career

Associate Engineer

need advice on an engineering career

Ive been considering a degree/ career in engineering but I have some concerns;

1st: Im 30 years old meaning if I start now I probably won't get started in my career till I'm about 34-35.

and

2nd: its been a long time since high school and the closest thing Ive had to a math class is the one in my apprenticeship which is basically trade related ( geometry, calculating BTU's, calculating expansion etc)

In any event I really want to go back to school and I have a strong interest in math and science. what Id like is some insight from anyone thats been in a similar situation or maybe just some information as to how hard calculus is? What I could do to possibly better prepare myself for the classes? basically anything about the schooling or career.

Technical Fellow
    Welcome Mr Green, very formal.

Just do it. Calculus is as hard as you make it. Meaning, that study and applying yourself fully is the way to get through it. It is not something to be feared. There is a learning curve that's kinda steep until it "clicks." From there on it is just hard work and effort applied.

I started out as a Toolmaker apprentice, then Draftsman and later a Design Draftsman. I got my Mech-Eng degree via night classes at a well accredited College and that took most of six years. Sometimes it was three nights a week and my body began to question if we had given up on sleep. I survived.

Without going back through the Calendar, I was in my late twenties, maybe early thirties when I started the night classes.

Anyway, instead of vacillating, get started now. The sooner the better as it is a great career. Starting at 35 means nothing detrimental, all the years it has taken you to get to 35, you must have learned a great deal along the way and all of that will only be a big help with the career path. Generally young Engineers fresh out of College and getting their first Engineering job are pretty useless for the first two years. You will have a huge leap start on them.

Good luck.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Welcome Mr Green, very formal.

Just do it. Calculus is as hard as you make it. Meaning, that study and applying yourself fully is the way to get through it. It is not something to be feared. There is a learning curve that's kinda steep until it "clicks." From there on it is just hard work and effort applied.

I started out as a Toolmaker apprentice, then Draftsman and later a Design Draftsman. I got my Mech-Eng degree via night classes at a well accredited College and that took most of six years. Sometimes it was three nights a week and my body began to question if we had given up on sleep. I survived.

Without going back through the Calendar, I was in my late twenties, maybe early thirties when I started the night classes.

Anyway, instead of vacillating, get started now. The sooner the better as it is a great career. Starting at 35 means nothing detrimental, all the years it has taken you to get to 35, you must have learned a great deal along the way and all of that will only be a big help with the career path. Generally young Engineers fresh out of College and getting their first Engineering job are pretty useless for the first two years. You will have a huge leap start on them.

Good luck.

Thank you.

I entered engineering school straight out of high school, so I don't have a similar experience to offer you. But I can tell you about the perspective from the other side. Two main things stand out:

(1) The guys in our classes that were older (mostly veterans on GI bill) were there because they wanted to be. They weren't there to party or to "discover themselves". They knew what they wanted and were serious about it. They were there to by God learn engineering. Most of them did VERY well. (And they absolutely screwed up the grading curve for the rest of us!)

(2) You will find that most engineering courses, especially the early ones, necessarily have to focus on certain higher level principles of physics and math. Because of that they tend to be very theoretical in nature. Sometimes it is a struggle to actually apply them to real world situations. The schools now are doing a much better job then they did in my day, but still regretfully many young engineers graduate without having a good solid foundation in the practicalities of the real world. I am embarassed to admit for example that I remember in my first year out of college learning that you could actually buy things like electrical relays off the shelf. You didn't have to build each one from scratch. Duh!

My point is this: whether you realize it or not, your life to this point has been an education already. In many ways you will have significant advantages over your classmates. You've already learned your work ethic. You know how to apply yourself. And you have already personally seen many of the engineering principles you will learn about at work, you just didn't know it.

I agree with Dave - go for it!

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    I entered engineering school straight out of high school, so I don't have a similar experience to offer you. But I can tell you about the perspective from the other side. Two main things stand out:

(1) The guys in our classes that were older (mostly veterans on GI bill) were there because they wanted to be. They weren't there to party or to "discover themselves". They knew what they wanted and were serious about it. They were there to by God learn engineering. Most of them did VERY well. (And they absolutely screwed up the grading curve for the rest of us!)

(2) You will find that most engineering courses, especially the early ones, necessarily have to focus on certain higher level principles of physics and math. Because of that they tend to be very theoretical in nature. Sometimes it is a struggle to actually apply them to real world situations. The schools now are doing a much better job then they did in my day, but still regretfully many young engineers graduate without having a good solid foundation in the practicalities of the real world. I am embarassed to admit for example that I remember in my first year out of college learning that you could actually buy things like electrical relays off the shelf. You didn't have to build each one from scratch. Duh!

My point is this: whether you realize it or not, your life to this point has been an education already. In many ways you will have significant advantages over your classmates. You've already learned your work ethic. You know how to apply yourself. And you have already personally seen many of the engineering principles you will learn about at work, you just didn't know it.

I agree with Dave - go for it!
    Actually ver informative as I'm a veteran on the GI Bill. Thank you.

Associate Engineer
    Mr. Green I just transitioned from the navy about a year ago I'm 28, what was your job with the military? If it was related to electronics I recommend Grantham university online. I am a former aircraft electronics technician. They gave me 33 transfer credits from my smart transcript. You can also take harder classes at a campus if you have time. Personally I don't due to my one year old son.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nativeman23 View Post
    Mr. Green I just transitioned from the navy about a year ago I'm 28, what was your job with the military? If it was related to electronics I recommend Grantham university online. I am a former aircraft electronics technician. They gave me 33 transfer credits from my smart transcript. You can also take harder classes at a campus if you have time. Personally I don't due to my one year old son.
    I did complete tech core but I ended up a boatswains mate. Tech core doesn't show anywhere on my smart transcript though.

Associate Engineer
    Hmm,

Well all I can say is contact them and send them an electronic copy of your smart transcript. I do not know if they have any other engineering courses other than electronics though. I have been happy with them so far, I will be completed with my degree by September next year. I'm getting into the harder classes right now.

Associate Engineer
    [QUOTE=Nativeman23;6388]Hmm,

Well all I can say is contact them and send them an electronic copy of your smart transcript. I do not know if they have any other engineering courses other than electronics though. I have been happy with them so far, I will be completed with my degree by September next year. I'm getting into the harder classes right now.[/

Since you've done both how hard is calculus compared to what we used in a school? Thanks for all the info.

Associate Engineer
    If you’re really into it, then nothing should stop you from achieving what your heart desires.