Thread: Sheet Metal Projection

Associate Engineer

Sheet Metal Projection

Hello,

I am designing a sheet metal product that needs Projections to secure a gasket to prevent blowout (as occurs in the current version). The new material will likely be an HSLA Steel. After searching in Google and various engineering and die related sites for about an hour with varied terminology I've found nothing but the link below from Dayton.

What I need is the Ratio of the Punch to Matrix Opening, and the amount of Penetration the Forming Steel must have. It seems like this information is so readily available for punching holes or even extruding holes, but nothing I can find relates to projections.

Is there anything that might give me some information on this?

Thank you,
    -Sarz

Page 13 of this PDF references Projections:dayton_tech-stamping.pdf
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-15-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Technical Fellow
    Sarz, are you doing the projections in a progressive system, punch then bend, or are you punching and bending them all at the same time?

A pic, sketch or drawing would help in understanding what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

Associate Engineer
    Well I tried to insert an image both with the standard dialog, basic uploader, and an attachment with no dice. Most likely it's our highly restrictive internet policies here at work.

The product is a plate about 18"x6" with a .500in horizontal flange around the outside. It has some drawn shape in the center with pierced holes for bolt attachment. The product will most likely be stamped in a prog tool with a coil strip. There will be a trim & pierce station, a draw station, with likely two stations to form projections in different locations.

The direction I took was to generate form tool geometry that's 120% of the width of the projection profile (i.e. the Punch to Matrix Ratio I haven't been able to nail down with a reference in a Tooling book or website I'm assuming is 1.2). I calculated the volume of the desired projection, then used that volume to determine at what depth I needed to penetrate the punch.

Sometimes there's nothing like an old-fashioned educated guess...

Punch - any size more that 2 thickness of plate
    Punch max size - any size according to the limits of the machine to use
    Die same size with clearance - 0,2 for each 1 mm of metal/