Thread: Load-Bearing Wall Door Installation

allpunsintended

Load-Bearing Wall Door Installation

I'm a MechE by training, but I've been asked by my supervisor to scope out and estimate a job which (among other things) includes installing a door into an 18" thick load-bearing brick wall.

What do I need to consider in this instance? What type of support structure needs to be constructed around the doorjamb in order to install a standard interior door? How labor-intensive is this work (in terms of man-hours), and what equipment will be required?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Very strange. I got a double post!
    Last edited by Cake of Doom; 05-21-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Demons!

Rule #1: Use only competent tradesmen.

A standard door opening here (UK) is about 32" (800 mm). Brickwork will self-support at 1000 mm so even though the standard bearing is ~150 mm each end, it is not taken into account as a good builder with the right tools can have this done in 1/2 a day. If, after surveying, it is deemed that the existing brickwork is of too poor quality/opening will be too large or it will be left for an unspecified amount of time, to self support then there is a tool out there called a "Strong Boy". This is essentially a stiffened plate that fits into the bed joint to support the bricks above allowing the lintels to be installed beneath.

Best advice would be to employ a Structural Engineer that is working within the state where the works are to be carried out. Having someone whom knows the codes for your state or area.

Have fun

Associate Engineer
    I had a similar issue but spoke with someone who knew the codes and got the help, which I found out I was doing things wrong.