Thread: Reporting software with updatable formulas

Associate Engineer

Reporting software with updatable formulas

Anyone out there using a good system for making reports that include a lot of equations that need updating? My standard way of writing stress documents right now is to use Microsoft Word and to insert equations using MathType (a more advanced equation editor). But if the design I am working on changes slightly then I have to go through all the equations in my document and manually update the answers to reflect that change. I know that you can embed Mathcad equations into Word but my company won't want to spend the money on purchasing it. And it seems like bit of overkill just to make updating my reports equations. Is there any free/cheap software out there will do this job? Thanks

I've only recently started using MathCAD for this kind of thing. It's a handy bit of kit because all your equations remain live so when it comes to knocking out revisions it halves the time because I only have to change the initial bit of math and it updates all related equations for me. Before I was using a mix of Word, Excel and scanned hand calcs which works fine but it's not as convenient.

The only real gripe I have is that it is not a very good word processor.

Associate Engineer
    I was hoping that Mathcad or something like it would have the ability to be inserted into Word seamlessly because our engineers and clients really like our current report templates in Word. Everyone on the Mathcad forums just complain about Word/Mathcad integration. As hard as I search though I cant find anything else to do this.

There is another program for performing equations in word called mathtype. I haven't used it or seen how it operates so I can't comment as to how reliable it is.

Have you thought about just setting up your report template in MathCAD and doing the whole thing from there instead of word?