Thread: Hello All!

Associate Engineer

Hello All!

Hello, new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and tell you a little bit of what I do and what I aspire to be! I currenty work for Lexus and have been with them for a little over two years and I've been with Infiniti for a year prior to that. I'm a ASE/CA-certified automotive technician (grease monkey) whatever title you guys seem fit and it's the profession that I chose. Anyways, I've always been fascinated by the role the engineers play with the products we fix and wonder why some things are they way they are. I was a part-time student during my tenure here and decided to switch to full-time to better focus on my long term goals. Enough about me, what does everyone here do for a living and why did you choose that particular career path?

Welcome to the forum. I chose mechanical engineering with a specialty in machine design because I grew up around it and inherited my father's fascination with all things mechanical. I wanted to know the reasons why certain concepts work, and why some don't. I graduated from college over 30 years ago. Since then I have treated every day as another opportunity to learn and have not regretted a minute. If you approach life that way, even the mistakes and failures have value. They are tuition paid in the school of hard knocks.

Hello, Dennis.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your info. I have had an interest in all things mechanical since I was young, as well. My dad got me hooked on it as he and I tinkered on his old Austin Healeys and Morgans. As that fuse was lit, I started doing what you do (turning wrenches) as a means to get through college. I was fortunate enough to have a fantastic employer who taught me well. I came in on the ground level, sweeping floors and working in the engine teardown area and the "dirty room." As my skills grew, I was able to work as a machinist for about 6 years after I got out of school.

The automotive bug had bitten me hard and I pursued a career in the auto repair business as a service writer, drawing on my experience as a mechanic and machinist which was helpful in dealing with the mechanics and customers alike. As has been the case too many times, our small shop was bought out by a large corporation and the whole atmosphere of the place changed.

I changed careers and took a position in the engineering department of a local sheetmetal fabrication shop, specializing in the development and design of equipment racks and enclosures for the telecommunications industry. With my background in customer service and sales, my employer found a nice little niche job for me here as a product design coordinator. I work with our customers to develop solutions for current and upcoming equipment installations while maintaining compliance with Telcordia specifications. I have been here for 14 years, now. It is a very rewarding position and there is never a dull moment.

The car bug still has its teeth firmly clinched on me, though. On the weekends, I announce drag races.

Ron

Associate Engineer
    Pleasure to get some responses from some people in the industry; it seemed like the forum didn't have much traffic flowing through here. Jboggs-I'm the same, ever since I was a kid I would always tear things apart because I was so curious as to what held it together and made it operate. Legos kept me occupied as I was a child and I made some pretty fascinating little things looking back at old photos. How do you like what you do? It seems this is a very rewarding career field, but I may be biased.
    Ron-I'm glad I have someone to relate to about my situation and especially excited to see someone committed and follow through with their plans. Automotive is definitely a very broad and innovative field, I myself build engines as a hobby and find to realize a lot of innovations made in motorsports trickles down into manufacturer's production vehicles, and then into consumer products that we use everyday. It's truly amazing and i want to be a part of that innovation that I speak of. How difficult was school for you? It's been three years since I have been a full time student and have lost a bit of my edge or so to speak. I'm not the greatest with numbers and math but I know I can do it, it will just take time.

Dennis,

My step son is a heavy truck technician and my brother in law is a helicopter technician. We have some very interesting conversations about challenging, illogical designs and assemblies from a technician and engineering point of view.

I’ve been in engineering for thirty years. Before I began my engineering career, I started with batteries and burning up wires, and lighting light bulbs, moved on to repairing and modifying bicycles, then motor cycles, and rebuilt and modified several automotive engines (headers, high-lift cams, fancy aluminum intake manifolds, etc..). My first rebuilt engine was a Pontiac 428 that went in my 1968 Firebird convertible. I wish I still had that car..

I didn’t know in my early years that I actually wanted to an a engineer, but as I look back I was never satisfied with just knowing how something went together, I had a deep need to know why…

"How do you like what you do? It seems this is a very rewarding career field, but I may be biased."

I love what I do. Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than to see a problem that others have been unable to solve (or haven't tried hard enough to), then to analyze the details, visualize some possible solutions, pick one and develop it, create a design and drawings, build a trial or prototype, and finally to see a successful result working the way its supposed to in the real world. Frankly, part of my joy comes from also knowing and admitting the things I do not enjoy doing - anything to do with accounting, management, red tape, personnel problems, or budget decisions.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than to see a problem that others have been unable to solve
    Or better yet, JB, "nope, that will never work." Or, "that can't be done." I remember many years back designing a mechanism to open fire-louvers in the roof of an industrial building. When I proposed an idea with a sketch, the chief Engineer said, "that will never work." Buuuzzzz! Wrong. I made a prototype and it did work. We were able to undercut all competitors by 40-percent and make a handy profit in the process. They also got a Patent for it and they are probably still making them today.

Associate Engineer

Cool

Thanks so much for the insight guys, it's really interesting to get an insider's prespective. I'm extremely excited to start this semester and I just have so much that I want to accomplish in these next few years. This is a new industry for me and I just need to break through and start networking with engineers just like the members here to get some tips and information on HOW to actually get started. I think this forum is a great vehicle to help connect mechanically-inclined individuals like ourselves; it's awesome