Thread: advantages and disadvantages of replacing air plug gauge with airless plug gauge

Associate Engineer

advantages and disadvantages of replacing air plug gauge with airless plug gauge

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of replacing air plug gauge with airless plug gauge...

and if there are any constraints for introducing air less plug gauge please specify them..

Thank you..

Well, in general Air plug gages are used for determining size, circularity and cylindricity of cylinders. The plug gauges are designed with two or more opposing measuring jets which record the measured flow value without contact.

The diameter is measured immediately after the air plug gage is introduced, while the diametric roundness deviation can be tested by rotation around 180° and the cylindricity by movement in a longitudinal direction.

I have never seen an "Airless plug gauge" so I cannot evaluate the differences..

This pretty much tells the tale...
    http://www.gagesite.com/documents/Me...r%20Gaging.PDF

Associate Engineer
    Thank you..
    by airless plug gauge i mean airless electronic bore gauge..

It would be better if i could know about the limitations of the electronic bore gauge like min bore diameter, min tolerance zone..

thank you.