Thread: I need some advice..

Associate Engineer

Unhappy I need some advice..

Hi, I’m quite confused as to what course I should take for college. I’m still in my senior year in high school but I’m kind of pressured by my parents because they want me to be a mechanical engineer. However, my heart says that I should be a civil engineer and be a geotechnical engineer someday. But I’m afraid that my parents will be mad at me if I don’t follow them. So I want to ask for advice regarding this matter.

I also want to know which is better. Should I go for mechanical engineering or just go for civil engineering instead?

Jasper Rupp @ Wants to be a Geotechnical Engineering graduate someday
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 06-11-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: No links...

This is not an engineering problem but is a parent-child problem... I suspect your parents will be proud of you regardless of your engineering pursuits..

Technical Fellow
    Do some research here and you will find a zillion similkar questions albeit, without the Parent slant.

The crux of the answers generally comes down to do something that you enjoy doing. If you think you would be happier as a Civil Engineer then that's the course you must pursue.

You will be working a lot longer than your Parents will have active influence over you, so go with your heart and desire. To do less will lead you to be unhappy and probably, a much less competent Engineer.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Do some research here and you will find a zillion similkar questions albeit, without the Parent slant.

The crux of the answers generally comes down to do something that you enjoy doing. If you think you would be happier as a Civil Engineer then that's the course you must pursue.

You will be working a lot longer than your Parents will have active influence over you, so go with your heart and desire. To do less will lead you to be unhappy and probably, a much less competent Engineer.
    Exactly what PinkertonD said + take into account that you most probably will be exercising the profession for the next few decades. Success often comes hand in hand with passion and dedication. If you let others choose for you, you'll end up doing something you "don't like" while forever watching what your life could have been if you followed your guts.

fhshaw
    If you like building targets, become a Civil Engineer. If you like building the guns that take out those targets, become a Mechanical Engineer. I would suggest strongly not going into civil. Its not fun and you will probably end up needing a masters

Or you could consider this...
    Maybe sit down with your folks and discuss this with them and ask them why they feel one is going to serve you better than the other. Although I'm a strong believer in all the advice about following your passion etc.... It'd be a good idea to listen to their reasoning on this.

See thing is... Your folks probably know you better than you might think. They might have some sound reasoning behind their suggestions. Maybe they feel your personality would be a better fit for one and not so much the other? They've witnessed your life and all the things you've gotten into and your likes and dislikes. They not only have more years of experience in life in general but more so they've observed you since birth. Maybe they've researched this some too and like your odds of success in one field over the other better?

Good luck...
    Bob