Thread: Moving Door in Solidworks

Associate Engineer

Bang Head Moving Door in Solidworks

Hello, I'm working on an enclosure, and I have the whole thing put together in an assembly file, but I cannot get the door to move on my hinges. There are no interferences (according to the interference detector) and I tried to change the document properties of each hinge to "flexible" under "solve as" as others have suggested, but for some reason, the options in the "solve as" area are greyed out (so they are unchangeable). Any tips? I'm a new user, so I'm sure it's an easy fix, just don't have the experience to sniff it out...Thanks!

Suppress the door. Then see if you can move the movable part of the hinges. If you can't, the problem is in the hinges. If you can, the problem is in how you mated the door. Then try suppressing individual mates on the door til you find something that allows the door to move.

azswguy
    Is it possible that your door is part of a sub-assembly you have inserted into the main assembly?

Associate Engineer
    jboggs, when the door is suppressed, neither of the hinges will move. I think I have already found out that the hinges are a problem - that they need to be flexible instead of rigid, but my issue is that I can't change them to flexible. The "solve as" menu where I would change that is greyed out. azswguy, the door is just a part file that I inserted into my assembly file. The hinge is a sub-assembly. I have also tried to change the hinge to flexible in it's own assembly file, but the "solve as" menu is greyed out in that file too.

Is the hinge file a part (.sldprt) file or an assembly (.sldasm) file?

"The hinge is a sub-assembly."

Trying making everything in your assembly that needs to move a part model, not sub-assembly.

Engineer
    you can set sub-assemblies to "flexible" within other sub-assemblies.
    Like this:

Assembly
    >Sub-Assembly - FLEXIBLE
    >Sub-Sub-Assembly - Also set to flexible.

You set the "flexible/rigid" parameter that Zach0350 mentions above in the Properties dialog box. You can set those Properties for each component by selecting the component, right click, and select Properties.

Senior Engineer

My Two Cents

akaron,

Keep in mind, that "flexible" only means flexible within the constraints of the assy mates. Can you grab the hinge and open and close it within its own subassy? Making a assembly flexible doesn't add any flexibility, it only allows the built in flexibility to work in higher assemblies. If the flexible command is greyed out, chances are the assy is fully constrained.

Timelord