Thread: Sagging floor

Associate Engineer

Sagging floor

We are in the process of buying a house and inspector has found master bedrm and the closet has sagging floor. Not sure if this is serious or who to even call to inspect it. It also has vertical crack above the second story window. Again not sure who to call for this and is it a serious problem. Pls help. Thanks

Technical Fellow
    Welcome and my first response would be "look for another house." Yes it is serious and it could be poor design, building or materials withing the structure. Or worse, it could be that the entire house is settling on it's foundations. Or worse, there may be no foundations or again poorly made. There are way too may things that could be involved.

If your building inspector can't tell you specifically what is causing it then you need to find a competent building inspector. The step after that would be a local Structural Engineering firm.

If the house is going cheap there is a reason for it and any or all of the above thoughts will all be very expensive to repair.

Associate Engineer
    We are having structural engineer look at the house. The house was built in 98. Does that mean the settling is done or can't get much worse?
    thank you

Dave cited only a few possible causes for the symptoms you have reported. There may be additional factors or continuing and underlying issues that are contributing to the problems with the house. I am not an expert in this field by any means, but it seems to me the information you have provided is incomplete at best to make a qualified determination as to what is actually causing the problems with this house. There could be a simple fix, like mud jacking, or you could encounter something on a much larger scale, like termites, erosion or even the possibility of a sink hole. All I can say is it is impossible to diagnose the problem from our computer monitors. Someone is going to have to get out there and inspect this thing first-hand.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Buyinghouse View Post
    We are having structural engineer look at the house. The house was built in 98. Does that mean the settling is done or can't get much worse?
    thank you
    Depends on the ground and the condition of the foundations. You have done the right thing by getting an engineer to survey it.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Buyinghouse View Post
    Does that mean the settling is done or can't get much worse?
    In very old houses it may generally be true that it has finished settling, but even then there can be no guarantee. In such a young house, 1998, I would be running away from it rather than spending money on the Engineer.

Associate Engineer
    yes, forget about that house! it is not so old and u re getting already those issues!!