Thread: Radial load turntable

Associate Engineer

Radial load turntable

Hi folks,

Can't seem to find the bearing I'm looking for and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. What I need is essentially a turntable which can be mounted sideways and take a 2 kN radial load. I'm not sure if such a thing even exists, since all the turntables I can find seem to be thrust rated only. I thought someone might have seen something similar out there. Thanks for looking!

Technical Fellow
    Hi Alex, welcome to the group and good luck with the job.
    (http://www.engineersedge.com/enginee...=6678#post6678)

Probably the only way to mount that turntable will be something resembling a lathe-headstock, although a large roller-ring bearing may suffice if money is no object.

In Engineering it is mandatory to present all of the known facts in order that others may help with a problem. Just giving the load figure and nothing else is as useful as just telling us the color you would like it finish up. Do some research here and you will find that in excess of 70% of ALL first inquiries, the following responses were for more detail and a sketch or picture.

You may as well learn to start out as you need to be in order to become a good, competent and useful Engineer. Good communication is beyond essential, it is mandatory in Engineering.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 07-02-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Writing nonsense! Lack of Coffee

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the welcome and the kind words!

I do understand that it's important to be clear, descriptive and concise. I just wasn't sure that I'm allowed to go around forums disclosing details about the project I'm working on, so I was being as general as I could. I suppose that's not too conducive to getting help, is it? The last thing I need is to get canned for endangering the company's intellectual property, though. I feel that I can say I am working on a 3 DOF motion system which calls for linear motion in the X and Y directions, and angular motion about the Z axis.

I think I just found my solution, however, and I'll post it here if anyone else has this question later. I've been approved to mount the rotating assembly on what I now know is called a slewing ring bearing. Namely, the PRT-01-30 from IGUS. While not all the specs were listed on the distributor's website, I was able to get my hands on the manufacturer's spec sheets and have found that it is rated to handle the peak radial load and moment that I anticipate. Sometimes the solution is simply knowing what exactly what it is you're looking for, I guess.
    Last edited by Awfulwaffle; 07-02-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Grammar, rewording

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Awfulwaffle View Post
    called a slewing ring bearing
    A rose by any other name might be a Roller-Ring Bearing?

Associate Engineer
    So it is. See, I'm building my engineering vocabulary already!