Thread: Proper shaft drawings for lathe operators

Associate Engineer

Proper shaft drawings for lathe operators

Hello All, I am looking for a standard for fabrication drawings used for lathe operators. I recently took over the job of creating 2D drawings for our lathe operators to use when manufacturing shafts. I'd like to see some examples or be directed to some literature that I could reference. Attached is an example of what I currently have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shaft Drawing.pdf
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 07-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Yes, you should investigate alternative approaches, other ways of doing things. But the main thing is this: Ask your customers (the lathe operators) what they need that they aren 't getting now. Find the need and fill it. You do that and you will be their hero for life. Standards are great and fill a huge need, but the goal is communication, not necessarily compliance.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the help. I'll look into the references and get some ideas. I definitely agree with talking to the Lathe operators and have been doing it. Most of what you see on the drawing I attached came from them. However I want to make sure any lathe operator will be satisfied with the drawing, not just the ones currently using them. That's were I found the need for a standard I could reference. Thanks again for the help.

Couple thoughts...
    Once you settle on your dimensions and how you will generally like to present them... Try to stick with that same basic layout when possible so that the operators won't need to search all over the print for the numbers they're after. Or try to present similar dimensions in the same areas each time to avoid confusion or mistakes. It's best to try to eliminate the need for the operators to do any math when they're setting up. If possible give them the dimensions in the way they will be entering them.

Also... In the wonderful world of keyways... I've found it's usually best to give the dimension from the bottom of the shaft to the bottom of the keyslot. It's easier to measure this way. Always... confusion on depth the way you show it. On your 1-1/8" shaft with a 1/4" square key it'd be .986 + .000 / -.015 for the depth. These dimensions and tolerances are in your "Machinery's Handbook."