Thread: Two bolt versus single bolt clamps.

Associate Engineer

Two bolt versus single bolt clamps.

I recall reading or hearing that a single bolt clamp on a shaft was better (more efficient ) than a two bolt clamp for transmitting torque. By this I mean that the clamp ring has one split in its circumference or two splits.

Is this true? and if so why?

For the purpose of this discussion I am assuming the clamps in both cases to be similar widths and thickness's.
    Last edited by Anzaniste; 07-18-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Its hard for me to imagine a situation where I would choose to use a shaft collar to transmit torque. There are keyless connectors designed for that purpose, and they generate a LOT more gripping force than a standard shaft collar.

As for the question of single bolt vs two bolt, I prefer the single bolt style if it will fit in the arrangement. They're simpler, generally more precise, and my gut tells me they should hold better, probably because of the closer initial fit and more surface contact.

Technical Fellow
    I guess at the extreme ends of technicality, the two bolt might be better than a single bolt as theoretically at some point the single bolt clamping pressure is at zero 180-deg from the bolt. However as Joe says, there are many better solutions than a clamping ring.

It makes no sense to spend time on a less positive approach when better and proven designs already exist.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post

It makes no sense to spend time on a less positive approach when better and proven designs already exist.
    That is well understood but I am looking at something historical and was seeking a better understanding.