Thread: UNI 6604 Key Material Specifications

Associate Engineer

UNI 6604 Key Material Specifications

I have a metric key for a shaft that is called out to be UNI 6604. Can, or does, anyone out there have any material specifications on this material? I need to know the yield strength specifically. Our vendor is also digging into this but the metric/European standards don't "travel" well.

From searching the web all I have found is "UNI 6604 / ISO 773 / DIN 6885" so if anyone can tell me what any of these standards call out for a minimum material yield strength is that would help me tremendously.

Thanks in advance.

The specifications for keys and keyseats speaks to fit (how tight) and shape (square, rectangle, tapered, rounded ends or square ends etc.) and doesn't involve material selection. (I'm 99% sure of this) Most folks make their keystock from 1018 bar... or whatever material might be available at the best price that day. Corrosive environment use S.S.. Sometimes aluminum for certain shear to protect components down the line...

Guess it boils down to the key material being as tough as the weakest component it is in contact with. Unless you want it to shear for protection...
    User defined?

MSUdawg... if you find anything out on this how about posting it. I'd be interested in knowing about it if there is some sort of material spec.
    Good Luck,
    Bob

Associate Engineer
    My problem is, I have keys that were delivered with my gearboxes and the only call out on the vendor drawing is the key dimension and "UNI 6604". I need the yield strength of the material to verify my keys are sufficient. FYI - planetary gearbox manufacturers do not share information regarding the specifics of their designs, even material properties. Even requesting shaft material properties is like pulling teeth. That's where reliance that the gearbox selected/approved by the manufacturer can handle the torque required by the customer.

UNI 6604 industry standard material is Steel, typically R> 588 N/mm^2 (C45 K).

The standard controls the Dimensional characteristics of the key and not the material. The keys can be made from any material.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    UNI 6604 industry standard material is Steel, typically R> 588 N/mm^2 (C45 K).

The standard controls the Dimensional characteristics of the key and not the material. The keys can be made from any material.
    We did get something back telling us "c90" but I have no idea what that is. I see you mentioned c45. What does that stand for and what does c90 tell me?

Edit - So I looked up the c90 and as I was thinking, it's 90,000 psi minimum yield.
    Last edited by MSUdawg711; 07-25-2013 at 10:58 AM.