Thread: Which of these poses more of a software and hardware engineering challenge?

Enginterest

Which of these poses more of a software and hardware engineering challenge?

Hello,

I was hoping for some input or debate on this question from people with any relevant background.

Which of these two poses more of a software and hardware engineering challenge?

A) A passenger jet landing on autopilot

or

B) Something like Google's driverless car making its way safely around a busy city centre

It would perhaps be harder for a person to solo land a commercial airliner, but would it be hard for an autopilot responding to data about air pressure etc outside while making its way to a runway, adjusting the flaps etc?

Cars are easier for us to drive around, but a driverless car has to mimic human judgement for safey and common sense and arguably assess more real time data to make sure it doesn't cause any accidents and stays within the road rules.

Any thoughts? Which poses more of a software/hardware challenge?

To me, I think both technologies are terribly complicated and require diverse engineering contributions.

Think of the electronics, mechanical and supporting technologies to implement the applications.

The technology complexity depends on the design and specifications. I have a friend whom has autopilot on his boat. The autopilot simply controls the rudder to keep the boat on a compass heading. I suspect that aircraft autopilot is a 3D version of by friends boat autopilot.