Thread: Thermodynamics/Heat transfer software packages

Mastablasta

Thermodynamics/Heat transfer software packages

I am wondering if anybody can recommend any thermodynamics/heat transfer software packages? I currently use Autodesk inventor to model/design things in my job and at the moment either do some basic heat transfer calculations or mainly perform experiments to find unknowns. I am looking for a software package to do basic heat transfer with and generally find for example 'how hot things get' e.g. if part of it is in free air losing heat by natural convection, and the other part of it is sticking into an oven.

Is there an add on for inventor to do this? or are there any better packages out there?

Cheers

I believe AutoCAD has an addon that allows for heat transfer analysis. Look and see if you have a "Physics" tab.

Nastran, cosmos, anys

tj y
    Solidworks and creo can do the basics. But if you want something good then STAR CCM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I am wondering if anybody can recommend any thermodynamics/heat transfer software packages? I currently use Autodesk inventor to model/design things in my job and at the moment either do some basic heat transfer calculations or mainly perform experiments to find unknowns. I am looking for a software package to do basic heat transfer with and generally find for example 'how hot things get' e.g. if part of it is in free air losing heat by natural convection, and the other part of it is sticking into an oven.

Is there an add on for inventor to do this? or are there any better packages out there?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tj y View Post
    Solidworks and creo can do the basics. But if you want something good then STAR CCM.
    Star CCM is a no-name small time software package... I'm guessing that you're suggesting this because you sell this package.. Stick to NASTRAN, COSMOS or ANSYS.