Thread: syncronize/cutting drive between two gears

Associate Engineer

syncronize/cutting drive between two gears

Hi,

How can I have both of these gears spinning but when one is engaged the other stops spinning at the same time?

If I would put another non idler gear on the end which can spin an axle linked to both front and rear wheels that would be fine but the axle isn't long enough so instead I want to stop the rotation of one gear when the opposite one is spinning.

When no idler is engaged they both spin but I cant figure out a mechanism to do such a thing, perhaps a differential could do this but I need help

Here is a video of the sliding clutch and the two idler gears, it shows the three places that the clutch can be moved to.

PS. if you already saw my old thread please delete it as my reply wasn't coming through so I made a better explanation/video in a new thread.]

Link removed...

regards, S
    Last edited by snipe; 08-26-2013 at 12:44 PM.

You could spline the gears to the common shaft. The spline would end where needed to disengage the appropriate gear.

Associate Engineer
    Hi,

I would need to have have something underneath on a new shaft connected to the gears.
    The common shaft cant be any longer unfortunetley and wont be able to hold a spine due to how short it is
    The clutches do spin with the common shaft which acts like a spline but this can only spline one gear at a time not both.
    I do know how to stop one side only unless they are both spinning, add an idler under one gear and a normal gear under the other, that's on a new axle under the common shaft.