Thread: Referencing Latest Revisions

Associate Engineer

Referencing Latest Revisions

Hello, I just started at a new company recently and I am trying to eliminate a large amount of tedious re-work. We are a government contractor and on all of our drawings, we reference mil specs, but we leave an empty parenthesis after to imply that the latest revision is to be used. It looks like this:

MIL-HDBK-454 ()

Is this a standard way of saying 'use the latest revision', or do I need to go back into each drawing and put in 'B', which is currently the latest revision?

If this is acceptable, please send me a link showing that this is a standard practice. Our customer is very picky and they will want documentation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amerritt View Post
    Hello, I just started at a new company recently and I am trying to eliminate a large amount of tedious re-work. We are a government contractor and on all of our drawings, we reference mil specs, but we leave an empty parenthesis after to imply that the latest revision is to be used. It looks like this:

MIL-HDBK-454 ()

Is this a standard way of saying 'use the latest revision', or do I need to go back into each drawing and put in 'B', which is currently the latest revision?

If this is acceptable, please send me a link showing that this is a standard practice. Our customer is very picky and they will want documentation.

Thanks
    I believe that one can reference the revision or not - just depends on organizational preference.

For sensitive and highly controlled applications, such as military the specification revision is normally indicated. For commercial applications the revision is sometimes referenced.

Be aware that one can get previous revision copies in the future..

I have worked in industry (not government) for over 30 years. In our world the cardinal rule for all users of drawings, specifications, etc. is to always make sure you are using the latest revision, unless specifically directed otherwise. The designer does not call out any revision because the latest one is assumed. Besides, approaching it your way would mean that whenever a new revision of some specification is issued, the designers would have to go back through their documentation to find all references to that specification and update them, thus creating another wave of paper revisions.

I vote for calling out NO revision. If you want to you could include a CYA statement like "It is the user's responsibility to insure that the latest revisions of all specifications are used." This is one of the driving principles of ISO 9000 certification.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the responses. I agree that it would be best practice to not call out the revision. Is it OK to leave the empty parenthesis after the spec () to denote this? All of the drawings that I inherited have this on them and I am REALLY hoping that I do not have to go and fix all of these myself as it would be extremely tedious and I have better things to do.

Any links to back up assertions would be appreciated as well.

I would just leave the () out...

Associate Engineer
    In the future, I plan on doing that. However, I am trying to justify not going back through our hundreds of drawings and revising them for this one little thing.

Typically when a standard practice for engineering drawings is established within an organization - from some date forward the engineering drawings must comply as it is normally not practical to apply changes to legacy documents.