Thread: Double Row Bearing Issue

Associate Engineer

Double Row Bearing Issue

I have a blade spindle that houses a pair of double row ball bearings (3208 B 2RS C3). One of the bearings recently started to really heat up on us. The spindle rotates very smooth and quiet, but after removing the bearings we see that the one that heats up takes much for force to rotate than the other, yet it is very smooth still. Anyone know what may have happened?

Probably a bearing issue, galling of the bearings or race... Can you accurately measure the spindle and bearing?

Associate Engineer
    Measure how so? We installed new bearings this morning and it's going back together as I type. Much improved with new bearings. I would have expected noise or vibration with any sort of galling inside the bearing. Is it possible that the grease (permanently lubricated) gummed up from some other cause, and now it's a hardened/thickened mass that the balls, cage, and race need to overcome to turn?

Associate Engineer
    I should also note that this is a brand new piece of equipment with probably less than 20 hours of run time on it.

You will learn a lot more by contacting the bearing manufacturer, or their distributor, than you will on an online forum. They have the experts that can give you a detailed analysis.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the info, I will inquire. Just thought maybe someone here had a similar experience. Thanks!