Thread: sap2000 joint displacement

Associate Engineer

Question sap2000 joint displacement

sp.pngsp2.png why is this happening? This is the deflected shape. I mean, why point 1 and 2 are not in the exact same position?
    thanks in advance

Lead Engineer
    Is there the possibility that in modelling your structure you ended up with aliased superimposed vertical members in the model and only one set of these vertical members has the correct connection restraint to the top plate in the structure but both sets of vertical aliases are correctly restrained to the lower plates. If these is the case then one set of vertical aliases would only be displaced vertically by the loading of the lower plates and the top vertical displacement of that set of aliases would be equal only to the vertical displacement of the second plate from the top. The displacement display of the correctly restrained vertical set would also be masked by the exteneded ends of the other set.

Associate Engineer
    Maybe, but i don t know how to fix it.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3%20h%2016.sdb
    this is the file of the model.
    Every member is connected to the same node. I think that joint constraints can be applied for two nodes or more...

Thanks

Associate Engineer
    If that happens, how can i fix it?
    I think joint constraints can be applied to two nodes or more, and all of beams and columns at the joint are on the same node.
    This is the sap file:
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26817947/LC%20%CE%B3%2013%20h%2016.sdb

Thanks

Lead Engineer
    Unfortunately, I am not familiar with sap2000, my above suggestion is based upon some of the general mistakes that I have seen in model building for a number of FEA programs.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you.