Thread: HSS 4X4X1/4 -Compressive Strength

Cruizer

HSS 4X4X1/4 -Compressive Strength

I'm looking to replace a 6x6x12 pressure treated post with 4x4 steel tubing. I was looking at a steel handbook and according to the "design strength in axial compression," a HSS4X4X1/4 for an "effective length" of 12ft is 72 Kips (72,000 lbs). Of course you still need to consider bracing, buckling, and other engineering aspects Im no expert in. Still, am I reading this correct? By chance I can purchase this HSS cheap and for that kind of strength or anything near it I'd rather go with it instead of the PT wood. Thanks and forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section.I'm looking to replace a 6x6x12 pressure treated post with 4x4 steel tubing.

I was looking at a steel handbook and according to the "design strength in axial compression," a HSS4X4X1/4 for an "effective length" of 12ft is 72 Kips (72,000 lbs). Of course you still need to consider bracing, buckling, and other engineering aspects Im not expert in. Still, am I reading this correct? By chance can purchase this HSS cheap and for that kind of strength I'd go with it instead of the PT wood. Thanks and forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 10-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Without seeing the engineering reference I would guess YES... Column buckling strength is based on effective length of the member in consideration.

See:

column-stress.pdf