Thread: help needed, how to heat a copper sheet

Associate Engineer

help needed, how to heat a copper sheet

This year i am doing my science fair on investigating the effects of the leidenfrost effect. To do so i need to be able to heat up a copper (or metal) sheet up to 100+ degrees celsius and then run water by it. I was thinking of using electricity (a car battery) to heat up the metal, but i have no experience or knowledge in the area. How would I go about heating the metal?

Well, you could use a bunsen burner or an electric skillet.

See video: Leidenfrost effect

Associate Engineer
    @kelly bramble those are good ideas but i need to be able to heat an actual metal plate that i will bend into the shape of a boat hull, and then heat up or have heated up while submerged under water. Any other ideas

Quote Originally Posted by sciguy View Post
    @kelly bramble those are good ideas but i need to be able to heat an actual metal plate that i will bend into the shape of a boat hull, and then heat up or have heated up while submerged under water. Any other ideas
    Your first post differs from you second post. Please clarify what it is exactly you are trying to accomplish..

Associate Engineer
    @kelly bramble ok to clarify i am trying to investigate the leidenfrost effect when implemented on whip hulls. The leidenfrost effect is when water evaporates around a surface much hotter than itself. The experiment is that i shall bend a piece of metal into the shape of a boat hull then heat it to 100+ celcius. Then i will measure the water flow rate and compare it to data taken from when the metal was not heated. I have thought of hooking a car battery to it but was wondering if the current would simply be transferred through the water itself as it is a conductor instead of accumulating and heating up the metal. That was just one idea i am very much open to other ideas.