Thread: Engineering Training - Do we need it?

Engineering Training - Do we need it?

Engineering Training - Do we need it? What is the return on the investment?

Opinions?

invest-in-employees.png

Project Engineer
    My old bosses biggest fear... My answer was that new people are being born all the time just pick one and continue with all the fresh ideas...

Do wee need it? Absolutely.

Kelly, although that last cartoon is humorous, it is also, sadly, very true.

Sometimes it is wiser to take your lumps due to decreased production during training so as to realize the benefits of it later.

I still think companies should require engineers to spend 18-24 months in the field with installers, assemblers, packers and repair technicians before they spend one minute in the design capacity. Understanding the areas which need improvement will undoubtedly increase product quality and customer satisfaction.

Ron

Lead Engineer
    The reality that companies need to face is that if they don't train their new graduate engineering employees then there is a very low probability that those employees will produce their best work and highest productivity during their service for that company, regardless of whether they may leave the company later or not.

Also, while I agree with the above post that new engineers need to initially spend time learning about all of the different processes required before devoting their time strictly to engineering duties; unfortunately these days, the same deficiency clearly exists to even a larger degree in the senior and chief executives of a majority of our major corporations.

Do you guys not have mandatory CPD across the pond?

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Do you guys not have mandatory CPD across the pond?
    (CPD = Continuing Professional Development Accreditation)

We call it PDH'd = Profession Development training Hours, however this training is only required for those with certain certifications or professional licenses.

Most American engineering professions are not required any continuing education to hold their position/job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    (CPD = Continuing Professional Development Accreditation)

We call it PDH'd = Profession Development training Hours, however this training is only required for those with certain certifications or professional licenses.

Most American engineering professions are not required any continuing education to hold their position/job.
    It's still pretty much the same here for the small firms but a lot of the larger firms are making everyone attend seminars and what not. I don't miss it.

If you're a chartered or incorporated engineer, then there are so many hours training that you're supposed to put in but to be honest, I don't think most bother.