Thread: Newbie looking for advice on a hydraulic press fixture producing 60 tons...

Associate Engineer

Newbie looking for advice on a hydraulic press fixture producing 60 tons...

I need to design a Hydraulic coining fixture that will produce a required 60 tons to emboss a company logo into C1035 steel in an automated manufacturing cell. We have an existing fixture that is mounted in an 8" Bore C-frame press that does the job well @ 3000 Psi, but I need to incorporate this same coining operation into a machine that runs off a 1500 Psi power unit, and mandates a much smaller foot print than the large C-frame press. I'm looking for suggestions for a mechanism that would produce 60 tons off from only 1500 Psi, and a 2" bore cylinder.

The options I have considered so far include a scissor mechanism, a wedge press, and something called a "Uplifter" mechanism which I'm not familiar with, but have been told would work well for this application.

Any thoughts on what would work well would be appreciated. Drawings or pictures of specific examples would be an extreme blessing as well.

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Jerry

Welcome to EE!

Well, a two inch bore at 1500 psi will only produce 4512.389 lbs. A little ~ short of 120,000 lbs.

The stroke of the cylinder will determine any mechanical advantage you might incorporate.

Hydraulic Actuator Extend Calculator

Hydraulic Actuator Retract Calculator

Lead Engineer
    One problem I believe that you are going to encounter is that any stamping load of 120,000 lbs is going to require a substantial frame assembly. In that respect, it appears that your C frame is more of a factor in the machine space requirements than the 8" cylinder you are now using.

Depending on the size of steel component you are stamping you might be able reduce the footprint of the machine by retaining the current 8' cylinder and replacing the C frame with a 4 post space frame between the cylinder mounting and the stamping base; but, this will mean that your stamped component will need to slide between two of the vertical legs of the frame.

Associate Engineer

Thanks for the welcome Kelly..

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Welcome to EE!

Well, a two inch bore at 1500 psi will only produce 4512.389 lbs. A little ~ short of 120,000 lbs.

The stroke of the cylinder will determine any mechanical advantage you might incorporate.

Hydraulic Actuator Extend Calculator

Hydraulic Actuator Retract Calculator
    Kelly, I'm 100% sure the cylinder stroke does not change the mechanical advantage. Are you thinking a longer mechanical mechanism, like a scissor assembly or linkage the cylinder actuates? That would give more mechanical advantage, and you would be correct. If that's the case the longer the torque arm is, the more tonnage the cylinder would create. That's what I'm looking for is thoughts on how to construct these extremely solid links that would amplify the 4500#'s into 120,000#'s like your stating. It can be done w/out a C-frame or post style press, but I'm not sure what the best mechanism would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Higgins View Post
    Kelly, I'm 100% sure the cylinder stroke does not change the mechanical advantage. Are you thinking a longer mechanical mechanism, like a scissor assembly or linkage the cylinder actuates? That would give more mechanical advantage, and you would be correct. If that's the case the longer the torque arm is, the more tonnage the cylinder would create. That's what I'm looking for is thoughts on how to construct these extremely solid links that would amplify the 4500#'s into 120,000#'s like your stating. It can be done w/out a C-frame or post style press, but I'm not sure what the best mechanism would be.
    Well, I was thinking of a simple mechanical advantage lever and assumed there would be deflection in that lever and stroke length requited during the coining operation.. If a crank-cam mechanism is used to multiply the applied force a longer actuator stroke does make the design effort simpler.

My gut feel is that the op should just go ahead and design/purchase another actuator-frame assembly of sufficient force since the force multiplier mechanism design/engineering/manufacturing effort will likely cost just as much.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.