Thread: 110v Center Tapped Earth (CTE) supply query

Engineer

110v Center Tapped Earth (CTE) supply query

Those based in the EU may be more familiar with this, but please provide insight if you know!

I'm looking for a motor-driven tool to work on a 110v CTE supply, commonly found on building sites in the EU. What I want to know is, if I bought a tool that is designed to work on a 110v, 60Hz US mains supply, would that work just as well on a CTE supply?

I know that a standard mains supply oscillates from 0 - 110v, where as a CTE oscillates from -55v - +55v, but the torque is gained from the current, so I'm unsure of it's effect. Also, if the tool is designed to run at a fixed rpm, then it will surely be dependent on the supply's frequency. I can't find much info on what is considered a standard CTE supply, but I imagine it would be 50Hz rather than 60Hz, and this discrepancy would effect its operation also.

Any theories?

Engineer
    OK, with some digging around I eventually found some info. I'll put it here for reference, and see if anyone knows or has experienced anything different to what I have found.

According to a thread on DIYnot, it should work, but may perform less efficiently. Some say the 10Hz discrepancy in frequency will make the motor run slower, but one poster thinks it may run quicker due the impedance of the coils drawing more current at 50Hz compared than 60Hz. But the majority of commenters agree that it the motor will certainly run hotter, and will probably see a decrease in lifetime.