Thread: What Manufacturing Process for Latex skin of a toy are there?

Associate Engineer

What Manufacturing Process for Latex skin of a toy are there?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Manufacturing processes to produce latex skin of a toy that will be filled with a thick viscous fluid similar to the stretch Armstrong toy. Stretch Armstrong’s skin was made by dipping Mandrels into latex and then curing them. I was wondering if there were any other newer, cheaper and quicker processes that anyone could recommend. E.g. Stretch Blow Moulding or Injection Moulding. Or is Injection moulding not suitable.

Thanks

MM391

Engineer
    I think you are right about injection moulding not being suitable, because you are trying to achieve one large thin feature. I suppose rotational moulding could work instead. Stretch-blow would require the material to be handled in a state that allowed it to be stretched before blow formed, which would limit your material choices.

Although Dip Moulding, as you described above, is very cheap already, as there are no pressures involved, and very few moving parts (comparatively). I cant think of anything that could be quicker either, but maybe someone else knows something.

Is there any particular reason why you are avoiding dip moulding?

Rubber molding....

Check out this DIY video Rubber Molding / Casting

Senior Engineer

My Two Cents

I think the process you are looking for is called Rotational Molding. It is use extensively for hollow products made from thermoplastics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_molding Timelord

srisairubber
    Hi
    manufacturing productions tell ma something details..

Associate Engineer
    I think rubber mould is the right choice to manufacture the toy

Senior Engineer
    Thanks for the useful information above. Through this we can get the ideas about Austempering Process, This is a nice information.