Thread: Pushing water along.

Associate Engineer

Pushing water along.

I need to be able to calculate the maximum velocity that Ican push a square edged blade along a water logged surface keeping the bow waveahead of the scraper blade and not breaking over it.

If I increase the gravitational force how will this affectthe velocity?

For arguments sake, the depth of water is 3mm deep and theblade can be also 3mm deep if this has any bearing on things?

I am actually trying to work out the speed it will pass overthe top of the blade rather than be pushed forward but it was easier to explainthis way.

Thanks in advance.

Check forum homework policies. How did I know?
    "If I increase the gravitational force how will this affect the velocity?"

Associate Engineer
    Hi Jboggs. Its a genuine question not some homework question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Hi Jboggs. Its a genuine question not some homework question.
    What's the application? Would it be better to just do experiments with your best guess first?

Associate Engineer
    Its for a cleaning system within a centrifuge system - sort of thingy majig.

I guess I can conduct a 1G experiment easily enough but increasing G and monitoring the results would prove a challenge.
    Last edited by Gravity; 11-25-2013 at 03:30 AM.

My money is on zero effect of variable gravity.

Lead Engineer
    It sounds as though you are designing basically a scraper blade and the key element here is preventing hydroplanning of the blade.

I think it would help everyone if you could clarify what you mean by "gravity", by this I mean that, if the blade is going to use "gravity" (or even centrifugal force) then the contact loading between the blade and the wetted surface can be increased by adding weight to the blade; or, otherwise by spring loading the blade. In this respect, in engineering there is no such thing as "too much information" so the more you can reveal about your scraper application the better your chances are of getting some meaningful feedback.

Two additonal factors in preventing hydroplaning for a scraper are the sharpness of the blade contact edge and the angle of attack of the blade whereby of the fluid flowing over the blade can assist in the blade loading force.
    Last edited by JAlberts; 11-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.