Thread: Mechanical mechanism help

Cpoulsen2

Mechanical mechanism help

Hi

I'm currently developing an aggregate to keep a mirror in place when it's being CNC cut. My problem is I don't know if there is a device which can do what I want and that's why I'm asking here.

The mirror is shaped like a dome. From this dome there has to be shaped 6 triangulates.

My idea is to put a suction cup mounted on some kind of pneumatic piston (or something similar) on each of the spots where a mirror is being shaped.
    So when the worker take the dome and put it in the form he presses the pneumatic piston down until all of them is touching the surface of the mirror. And it's here my problem is. Is it possible to get a piston that stays in the same position when the air is turned off ? And you can get back to the starting position easily ?

I hope you understand my question. Feel free to ask

Best regards

Christian Poulsen
    Dev.jpg

Project Engineer
    There are air cylinders you can get that will do what you want. look into air over oil. The system uses 2 cylinders one for air and one filled with oil joined together so they operate as one. you can valve the oil side and freeze the action of the air cylinder. it's inexpensive and easier to implement that a hydraulic system.

If I understand your question correctly, there are control valves that will do it for you. What you want is a 3-position, closed-center valve. The lever on these valves has 3 positions: Retract, Hold, and Extend. The center position traps the air in the cylinder, holding the piston wherever it is. You can find them at any industrial distributor, like Grainger or McMaster-Carr.