Thread: Infrared Drying for firecrackers. Possible?

Infrared Drying for firecrackers. Possible?

Hello.

We've been entrusted the job of building a dryer for firecrackers. We were approached by a huge firecracker manufacturing firm here for the job. The current MO of drying is simply laying the product out in the sun and allow evaporation of moisture.

But now they plan to go in for a more 'sophisticated' approach.

I know that the whole concept of heating the firecrackers to dry them sounds crazy. But, I believe if I pass them through a tunnel with infrared panels used for drying, and by controlling the temperature and speed of the conveyor, I might be able to achieve it.

Then again, I'm aware of the concept of dust explosion.

If anyone can provide some good insight into the topic, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Project Engineer
    By drying do you mean water or are you evaporating off some other chemical?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
    By drying do you mean water or are you evaporating off some other chemical?
    Water. Plain moisture to be precise.

Project Engineer
    have you considered freeze drying? This generally happens with product gathered and temperature treated in a freeze drying machine. which could operate in an explosion proof enclosure for the duration of the process unmanned. it's not heat .. and it would be contained safely and isolated from other product.

I think safety should be a concern and the introduction of any kind of electricity or spark producing device is likely a bad idea.

I would consider circulating dry heated air over the fireworks. You could remotely locate the electricity driven devices from the fireworks...
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-29-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Lead Engineer
    Drying with air heated with a heat exchanger to insure isolating the heating source from the air contacting the fireworks appears to be worth considering; also, in using any air drying system it is important for the most efficient drying to also control the moisture content of the incoming air as well.

Project Engineer
    Warm, dry, moving air...
    be aware of static build-up.

Pyrotechnicians are killed almost every year by fireworks ignited by static discharge.

dale
    Licensed Pyrotechnician