Thread: Precedence constraints/relationships for manufacturing processes (academic)

Siegsieg

Precedence constraints/relationships for manufacturing processes (academic)

Hi guys, I am hoping you could refer me to some references.

I am doing research on manufacturing process planning (not much background in manufacturing).

In machining, there are a bunch of heuristics which specify the sequence in which the different features are to be machined. E.g if a surface is used as a datum, then this surface is machined first ( so that all the remaining features will be based on that surface)

However I am looking for a set of general rules that can be applied outside of machining, which considers all the different types of manufacturing operations, which include joining processes, material additive processes e.g cladding, material property enhancement etc... I know that this normally comes with experience and is very circumstantial...
    what I am looking for is some reference where all these little and important heuristics can be found?

What I have found so far are only general guidelines.
    Whereas for machining you have such a well defined, extensive set of rules.

Thanks.

Welcome to EE!

In machining, there are a bunch of heuristics which specify the sequence in which the different features are to be machined. E.g if a surface is used as a datum, then this surface is machined first ( so that all the remaining features will be based on that surface)

No, it is not required that one machine the datum feature first. In fact, often the datum feature(s) may be the last features to be machined.

I recommend you check out one of the following books:

Advanced Metalcutting Calculators in U.S. & Metric Units: Milling, Turning, Boring, Drilling, and Machining Time (software)

Basic Machining Reference Handbook, Second Edition

Engineering Design for Manufacturability Assembly

Handbook of Manufacturing Processes

Machine Shop Practice, Second Edition, Volume 1

Machine Shop Training Course, Fifth Edition, Volume II