Thread: Needing a CAD diagram for a ball

Associate Engineer

Needing a CAD diagram for a ball

This is my first post here. I'm not an engineer, so please excuse any ignorance I might display here. I am a pretty smart guy...just not when it comes to engineering

I have developed a dog toy that I'd like to build and sell. To do this, I need a ball, 6-7 cm in diameter (tennis ball sized, roughly). My prototype uses a ball purchased from a pet store. It's a combination of round and square. It's branded, trademarked, and perhaps patented as well. It's hollow, made of natural rubber, with two holes on opposing sides.

I have been trying to source a product with a similar design and non-toxic materials. There are thousands of overseas suppliers, but so far I have not found anything suitable. My search is ongoing.

I'm trying to get a handle on my costs to have a ball produced. I would like to have a CAD designer work up a diagram using the prototype ball, with some minor changes that will get the job done without copying the design.

To an ignorant layman like me, this seems like it would be a fairly easy thing to do, but I certainly could be wrong. I'm wondering what might I expect to pay to have this done. Is this a project that perhaps a student could handle?

Thanks for any help

Geoff

You need to search the internet for "Mechanical Design Drafting Services".

Be aware that Engineers Does not allow solicitations for services on the forums.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    You need to search the internet for "Mechanical Design Drafting Services".

Be aware that Engineers Does not allow solicitations for services on the forums.
    Thanks, Kelly. I wasn't intending to solicit offers from anyone. I'm sure I can get it done locally. I just wanted to get a general idea of what I might expect to pay before I start contacting people. My budget is small. If costs vary widely, that would be good to know.