Thread: help with pcb

Associate Engineer

Smile help with pcb

hi everyone, I am new here and a beginner to electronics. I have attached two images below and wanted to ask if the pcb board is etched properly? I have rinsed it with water after an hour in ferric chloride solution and have also rubbed the centre of the board with a sponge for about half an hour but this is what i got and somehow it doesn't seem right. I have also attached the schematic so please point out where the board does not have any copper where it should. Thank you for your help
    DSC_0328.jpgLED-ZepplinCct.gif

Well, it looks like the PCB is etched inverted... Are you trying to mount electronics components to the board traces?

Associate Engineer
    Umm I don't know what that means. I see the picture is rotated sorry about that.

Associate Engineer
    The problem with face-to-face soldering as you describe is that this will have to be a manual process (not pick-and-place with reflow) unless you want to reflow your PCBs. Also, you would need to be sure of the mechanical fixing - a few solder tags probably won't be enough - you will need mechanical fixing otherwise there is a serious risk of vibrarion fracture.

Associate Engineer
    Pick out any know connection (point to point) reference to the schematic diagrom and use a multimeter to check for continuity.
    If the board was etched inverted, (i,e fine trace removed instead of the serounding copper), then chances are the links will be closed no matter where you test with a multimeter.