Thread: Aluminum Utility Trailer Frame Design

Associate Engineer

Aluminum Utility Trailer Frame Design

I am a non-engineer wanting to get some engineering feedback on a trailer design that I would like to build. I have attached drawings of the intended design. All main frame perimeter rails, tongue, and tongue bracing to be 2X4X1/4 rectangular aluminum 6061 tubing, and the cross bracing to be 2X3X1/8 tubing. For the 5/4x6 wood decking, I would use 2X2X1/8 tubing for the intermediate supports, and 1x2X1/8 tubing for the perimeter ledger supports. All connections to be welded. I am planning on a 3500 LB torsion or spring axle to be mounted to the underside of the side rails. I am not sure of any other dynamic load concerns regarding actual road travel that need to be considered.

Thanks for any advice, and let me know if there is any other pertinent info that is needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome to EE!

Looks like a simple and good design. Why Aluminum and how much weight do you plan of carrying? A36 structural steel would be stronger.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Welcome to EE!

Looks like a simple and good design. Why Aluminum and how much weight do you plan of carrying? A36 structural steel would be stronger.
    I know steel is a stronger material, and I will have to use larger section members with aluminum. My current steel trailer has rusted prematurely, even though it is mostly garage kept. My garage storage is becoming more and more limited and I would like to leave the trailer outside. Also, I am after the lighter weight. Most of my use will be general purpose use, typically under 1000 LB load. I certainly wouldnt exceed the 3500 LB axle rating.

Quote Originally Posted by mlergle View Post
    My current steel trailer has rusted prematurely, even though it is mostly garage kept.
    Clean, prime and paint goes a long way in preventing corrosion...

A trailer that small is begging to be powdercoated. I am in agreement with Kelly on this one.